from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A coarse haircloth garment worn next to the skin by religious ascetics as penance.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative of hairshirt.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a shirt, or a band for the loins, made of horsehair, and worn as a penance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. self-sacrificing or austere
- n. an uncomfortable shirt made of coarse animal hair; worn next to the skin as a penance
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.