from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of numerous butterflies of the subfamily Theclinae, having transverse streaks on the undersurface of the wings and fine, hairlike projections on the hind wings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of many butterflies, of the subfamily Theclinae, that have hairlike projections on the back wings.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A butterfly of the genus Thecla
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the small dark butterflies of the genus Thecla; a theclan: so called from the minute hair-like appendages of the hind wings. The green hairstreak is T. rubi; the black, T. pruni; there are many others.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small butterflies having striped markings under the wings
Sorry, no etymologies found.