Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A member of the dipterous family Lycænidæ.
- Having the characters of or belonging to the family Lycænidæ.
- n. A member of the taxonomic family Lycaenidae.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. any of various butterflies of the family
- n. any of various butterflies of the family Lycaenidae
- New Latin Lycaenidae (Wiktionary)
“Weismann found, with regard to the climatic influence, that when the pupae of the German form of a lycaenid butterfly Polymmatus phlaeas was exposed to much higher temperatures, none of the emerged adults resembled the darkest form of southern variety eleus.”
“Among the invertebrates, the Mt. Piper region in Victoria is home to a threatened community of ant-attended lycaenid butterflies.”
“To the former group belong the phytophthorous Homoptera, the plant lice, scale insects, or mealy bugs, tree-hoppers, lantern flies, and jumping plant lice; to the latter belong the caterpillars of the lycaenid butterflies, the "blues," or”
“Genotype-specific response of a lycaenid herbivore to elevated carbon dioxide and phosphorus availability in calcareous grassland.”
Looking for tweets for lycaenid.