from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small monkey (Presbytis entellus) of southern Asia, having bristly hairs on the crown and the sides of the face.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The entellus (Presbytis entellus)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See hoonoomaun.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Hindu mythology, the name of a fabulous monkey-god, the friend and ally of Rāma in the Rāmāyana, a noted Sanskrit epic poem recounting the adventures of Rāma.
- n. Hence [lowercase] In zoology, same as entellus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. in Hinduism, the monkey god and helper of Rama; god of devotion and courage
- n. langur of southern Asia; regarded as sacred in India
Hindi hanumān, from Sanskrit Hanumān, a monkey-god in Hindu mythology, from hanumān, having a large jaw, from hanu, jaw.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)