American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A small monkey (Presbytis entellus) of southern Asia, having bristly hairs on the crown and the sides of the face.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Hindu mythology, the name of a fabulous monkey-god, the friend and ally of Rāma in the Rāmāyana, a noted Sanskrit epic poem recounting the adventures of Rāma.
- n. Hence [lowercase] In zoology, same as entellus.
- n. The entellus (Presbytis entellus)
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. See hoonoomaun.
- n. in Hinduism, the monkey god and helper of Rama; god of devotion and courage
- n. langur of southern Asia; regarded as sacred in India
- Hindi hanumān, from Sanskrit Hanumān, a monkey-god in Hindu mythology, from hanumān, having a large jaw, from hanu, jaw. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“why do hindu gods have animal attributes and does this reflect tribal Animism. the gods almost always have animals around them or are partly animals such as hanuman and the elephant god ganish”
“Palki of Shree Daya Sagar Hanuman Mandir photographerno1 poetry rafaees shahi snan shiasm shree daya sagar hanuman mandir sword rafaee transgenders delicioud”
“Filed under: Firoze Shakir Bollywoods Most Wanted, shree daya sagar hanuman mandir”
“Filed under: Shree Daya Sagar Hanuman Mandir Bazar Road Bandra, bandra bazar road, hope and hindutva, shree dayasagar hanuman mandir”
“Filed under: Shree Daya Sagar Hanuman Mandir Bazar Road Bandra, bandra bazar road, hope and hindutva, shree daya sagar hanuman mandir”
“June 17, 2008 mega star with his family members went to hanuman temple in jublie hills this morning to do special pooja. as tuesday in very special day to do pooja to hanuman, chiru has done this today. on his interview, he said that lord hanuman has played a lot of role in his life and defintely help him in furture.”
“This piece of folk-lore has evidently reached Ceylon from India, where it is believed that persons dwelling on the spot where a hanuman monkey,”
“Firstly, the public toilet which was on the footpath was demolished, slum dwellers were forced to relocate, now this bus stop and in the future, hanuman temple might come on the list as well," said Bhosle.”
“The hanuman temple is located near the watchtower at the Sariska national park, 11 kms from the entrance to the park.”
“There are hundreds of monkeys and langurs running about the hanuman temple premises.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hanuman’.
big ones,small ones,as many as
I can find
I don't have a monkey. But if I did, he/she would be named ...
Words taken from Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.
Words which are highly likely to be found in the work of learned writers.
Inspired by a Twitter exchange between Kory Stamper and other lexicographers about mythical beings with "fabulous" in their definitions.
Looking for tweets for hanuman.