from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Baseball.
- n. Informal The use of any means, however ruthless, to attain an objective.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. In baseball, a type of ball and baseball game, as opposed to softball.
- adj. Tough or ruthless behavior, especially in combat, politics or business.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. baseball as distinguished from softball
- n. a no-nonsense attitude in business or politics
hard + ball (Wiktionary)