from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of hawksbill.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sea turtle (Eretmochelys imbricata), which yields the best quality of tortoise shell; -- called also caret.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The caret, or hawk-billed sea-turtle, Eretmochelys imbricata. It is from this turtle that tortoise-shell is obtained, Also called hawk's-bill. See cut under Eretmochelys.
- n. A pair of pliers with curved nose, used to hold pieces in soldering them with a blowpipe.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. pugnacious tropical sea turtle with a hawk-like beak; source of food and the best tortoiseshell
Sorry, no etymologies found.