from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tropical sea turtle (Eretmochelys imbricata) valued as a source of tortoiseshell. Also called tortoiseshell.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The tropical marine turtle, Eretmochelys imbricata, that is a source of tortoiseshell.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the pawl for the rack, in the striking mechanism of a clock.
- n. See hawkbill.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as hawk-bill, 1.
- n. The catch or detent controlling the striking-movement of a clock.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. pugnacious tropical sea turtle with a hawk-like beak; source of food and the best tortoiseshell
Sorry, no etymologies found.