from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To stand, set, or turn on one end: upend an oblong box.
- transitive v. To invalidate, destroy, or change completely; overthrow: upended a popular legend.
- transitive v. To win victory over; defeat.
- intransitive v. To be upended.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To end up; to set on end.
- v. To tip or turn over.
- v. To destroy, invalidate, overthrow, or defeat.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To end up; to set on end, as a cask.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To stand on end.
- To set on end, as a barrel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. set, turn, or stand on end
- v. become turned or set on end
From up- + end. (Wiktionary)