from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various herbivorous aquatic mammals of the genus Trichechus, having paddlelike front flippers and a horizontally flattened tail and found in warm coastal waters of Florida, northern South America, West Africa, and the Caribbean.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several plant-eating marine mammals, of family Trichechidae, found in tropical regions.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any species of Trichechus, a genus of sirenians; -- called also sea cow.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sea-cow; a gregarious herbivorous aquatic sirenian mammal, of the genus Manatus, family Manatidœ, and order Sirenia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. sirenian mammal of tropical coastal waters of America; the flat tail is rounded
Spanish manatí, from Cariban manati·.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Spanish manatí, from a Cariban language. (Wiktionary)