American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. See sea cow.
- adj. Of or belonging to the order of sea cows.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or characteristic of a siren.
- Pertaining to the Sirenia, or having their characters.
- n. A member of the Sirenia, as a manatee, dugong, or sea-cow.
- n. zoology Any of a group of aquatic, herbivorous mammals, of the order Sirenia, including the manatees and dugong.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) Any species of Sirenia.
- n. any of two families of large herbivorous aquatic mammals with paddle-shaped tails and flipper-like forelimbs and no hind limbs
- From Scientific Latin Sirenia. (Wiktionary)
- From New Latin Sīrēnia, order name, from Latin Sīrēn, Siren; see siren. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“‘The earliest known fully quadrupedal sirenian’, Nature, 413, 625–7.”
“After D. P. Domning, ‘The earliest known fully quadrupedal sirenian’,Nature 413 11 Oct. 2001, 626–7, fig.”
“Nineteen other species of invertebrates are known: three species of early sirenian (sea cow), one partial skeleton of the primitive proboscidian Moeritherium, early mammals, sharks, crocodiles, three kinds of sawfish, rays, cartilaginous and bony fishes, several kinds of turtles, including a sea turtle and a sea snake.”
“While I most certainly do not want to get rude about the speaker or his talk, he unfortunately provided a review of sirenian biology that was unoriginal, boring and thoroughly outdated and inaccurate.”
“Daryl Domning, world expert on sirenian evolution and history, published a paper on manatee evolution in Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology last year.”
“Granted, there are sirenian workers who have, indeed, suggested that Atlantic rifting might explain manatee distribution … but, those workers were publishing their papers in the early years of the 20th century (Arldt 1907)!”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sirenian’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
in the Century Dictionary definition of 'menhaden' there is a misprint - I speculate- o 'qreen-tailed'for green-tailed. BUT there are alot of odd-tails out there..............
Looking for tweets for sirenian.