American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Sports A start before other contestants in a race.
- n. An early start that confers an advantage.
- n. idiomatic An advantage consisting in starting a competition or task earlier than might be expected; given (or taken), for example, prior to the beginning of a race.
- n. idiomatic A factor conducive to superiority and success
- n. the advantage gained by beginning early (as in a race)
“Bruce Clingan adds: Neil had a head start on most of us by virtue of his experience as a private pilot.”
“With that head start I had no trouble completing the 120,000-word novel the following month.”
“This is particularly important with respect to products that involve network externalitiesproducts like the telephone, where the value increases when more people use itso that being first in a market may give one a head start that is difficult to overcome.”
“Old Joe said it was best to leave Saturday to get a two-day head start on the patrollers, as they cannot gather a search party until Monday.”
“Assuming they had enough of a head start on the enemy, they could have taken the Via Annia south toward the city of Regium.”
“She might as well get a head start on her calc homework.”
“Of course, Clark had about a fifty-year head start on us and I doubt that anyone will catch'up in the next few days, but we were head and shoulders above anyone else in Vietnam and Thailand.”
“By arriving early, C. mitchelli could have gotten such a head start toward gigantism that C. ruber, when it followed, was obliged to take the opposite path, evolving toward dwarfism.”
“Even if you lost 80 percent of your real-estate net worth, the remaining 20 percent of your deflation-proofed portfolio would give you a great head start on everyone else.”
“Commander Swanson got to the radio room first, but only because he had a head start on Raeburn and myself.”
Looking for tweets for head start.