from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One of a set of parallel cords or wires in a loom used to separate and guide the warp threads and make a path for the shuttle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A part of a loom. Each of the threads that form a warp passes through an eye in a heddle to allow control of the up and down movement of the threads.
- v. To draw the warp thread through the eyes of the heddle
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the sets of parallel doubled threads which, with mounting, compose the harness employed to guide the warp threads to the lathe or batten in a loom.
- transitive v. To draw (the warp thread) through the heddle-eyes, in weaving.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To draw (warp-threads) systematically through the eyes of a heddle.
- n. In weaving, a series of leashes, twines, cords, or wires vertically stretched, generally in pairs, between two horizontal bars or laths, looped about both bars, and joined in their middle part to form eyes for the reception of a warp-thread or yarn.
Dr.H. G. H.rrison by no means overstates the case when he says that the development of the heddle is the most important step in the evolution of the loom (H.rniman Museum H.ndbooks, No. 10, pp. 47-49).
The heddle is a row of twines, cords, or wires called leashes, which are stretched vertically between two horizontal bars or rods, placed about a foot apart.
The heddle is the part of a loom through which all threads pass.
May 12th, 2009 at 3: 01 am raevmo: The problem for Christians is, of course, once you admit that parts of the bible are utterly foolish and untrue statements, heddle: That would be a problem.
The warp yarns are threaded through a heddle, a row of thin vertical wires, rather like needles with their eyes halfway down.
Mike in Ontario, NY replied to comment from heddle
He then had to use his Maker Hooks to mount it and ride it back to the garden to show Eve that he had become a man. heddle
Of course feel free to argue “the KJV says it, and they must have translated the Hebrew without error, and they must have meant by unicorn exactly what we mean by unicorn 400 years later, and any argument to the contrary is just cafeteria Christianity.” heddle
Whatever you might think of heddle, he is not someone who should be lumped with the likes of the Dishonesty Institute, Ray Comfort and Ken Ham.
Although she must have heard some of the drum messages over the clack of heddle and shuttle, she made no comment on the world outside.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.