from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A volatile, colorless, highly flammable liquid hydrocarbon, C7H16, obtained in the fractional distillation of petroleum and used as a standard in determining octane ratings, as an anesthetic, and as a solvent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the nine isomers of the saturated aliphatic hydrocarbon C7H16, obtained from petroleum, especially n-heptane (CH3(CH2)5CH3)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of several isometric hydrocarbons, C7H16, of the paraffin series (nine are possible, four are known); -- so called because the molecule has seven carbon atoms. Specifically, a colorless liquid, found as a constituent of petroleum, in the tar oil of cannel coal, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A paraffin having the formula C7H16.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a colorless volatile highly flammable liquid obtained from petroleum and used as an anesthetic or a solvent or in determining octane ratings
It is pure heptane which is the 2nd ingredient in rubber cement.
My mad laboratory had various smell chemicals to experiment with lighter fluid, grease remover, heptane solvent etc, but I didn't WANT to experiment.
Modern tapes have an acrylic adhesive which responds both to heat and to heptane (rubber cement thinner) or naphtha (lighter fluid) [not at the same time!]
The compounds are classified as asphaltenes or maltenes according to their solubility in hexane or heptane.
They then adopt a more rational approach for the rest, with pentane, hexane, heptane, octane and onwards in Greek.
Professors Schorlemmer and Thorpe have found heptane in
Inside the chamber, small drops of chemicals such as heptane or methanol are set on
In another finding, air samples taken in mid-May outside the organization's office near downtown New Orleans showed elevated levels of hexane and heptane, neurotoxins found in petroleum.
Rescues were performed using single copies of the UAS transgene and 24B-Gal4 in Embryos were collected at 25°C and washed in PBT (1X PBS and 0. 1% Triton X-100), dechorionated in 50% bleach, rinsed in PBT, fixed in 1: 1 heptane: 4% methanol free paraformaldehyde (4%PFA with 0.1 M Hepes pH 7.4) for 15 min while shaking, devitellinated in 1: 1 heptane: methanol for
What's sold at the pump is a blend of numerous hydrocarbon compounds such as octane and heptane along with other additives that serve to lubricate valves and fuel injectors among other things (like ethanol, which not everyone likes).
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.