American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any member of the alkane series.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A hydrocarbon, CnH2n+2, of the marsh-gas or methane series: official name.
- n. organic chemistry Any of saturated hydrocarbons including methane, ethane and compounds with long carbon chain known as paraffins etc., having a chemical formula of the form CnH2n+2.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Chem.) a non-aromatic saturated acyclic hydrocarbon with the general formula CnH(2n+2). A member of the alkane series.
- n. a series of non-aromatic saturated hydrocarbons with the general formula CnH(2n+2)
- alkyl + -ane. (Wiktionary)
- alk(yl) + -ane. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Further, officials continue to refuse to admit/discuss the impacts of methane and other alkane gases that were also emitted from the wellhead.”
“Contains an alkane that is the major product of the red-banded stinkbug's scent gland?”
“One of the many byproducts of our Petroleum reservoir is paraffin wax, an alkane with dozens of handy uses in your day to day life!”
“Methane is an alkane and Methane is a gas at room temperature.”
“Melt these together over a slow fire, mixing with them a little powder of alkane root to color it.”
“Octane is a hydrocarbon and a organic compound with an alkane family.”
“This discovery is the first description of the genes responsible for alkane biosynthesis and the first example of a single step conversion of sugar to fuel‐grade alkanes by a "designer" microorganism, according to the company.”
“This discovery is the first description of the genes responsible for alkane biosynthesis and the first example of a single step conversion of sugar to fuel-grade alkanes by an engineered microorganism" the South San Francisco company said.”
“The company's lead product is an alkane diesel of 8 to 20 carbons, which has already achieved ASTM approval.”
“Once the technology is fully developed, the company expects the alkane to cost around $50 per barrel, says del Cardayre.”
Looking for tweets for alkane.