American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A colorless, odorless gaseous alkane, C2H6, that occurs as a constituent of natural gas and is used as a fuel and a refrigerant.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A colorless, odorless gas, CH3CH3, found in illuminating gas and in crude petroleum, and prepared by the action of hydrogen on ethylene, acetylene, or ethyl iodide, and by the action of water on zinc ethyl. It boils at —93° C. Also called methylmethane, dimethyl, and ethyl hydrid.
- n. organic chemistry (uncountable) An aliphatic hydrocarbon, C2H6, gaseous at normal temperatures and pressures, being a constituent of natural gas.
- n. organic chemistry (countable) The same compound, subjected to modification by replacing one or more of the hydrogen atoms with other radicals.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Chem.) A gaseous hydrocarbon, C2H6, forming a constituent of ordinary illuminating gas. It is the second member of the paraffin series, and its most important derivatives are common alcohol (ethyl alcohol), acetaldehyde, ether, and acetic acid. Called also
- n. a colorless odorless alkane gas used as fuel
- eth- + -ane (Wiktionary)
- eth(yl) + -ane. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The methyl cation so obtained then attacks a new molecule of methane and protonated ethane is formed.”
“One day I discovered that one could get the barrier to internal rotation in ethane approximately right using this method.”
“The natural gas drilling boom near Charleston has local business boosters lobbying for a huge new chemical plant, called an ethane cracker, which could bring jobs to the state.”
“But there is no longer a local market for ethane, which is used to make polyethylene for shopping bags and other plastic products.”
“The compounds Miller studied are bisphosphonates known as ethane-1-hydroxy-1,”
“The compounds Miller studied are bisphosphonates known as ethane-1-hydroxy-1, 1-bisphosphonate or EHBP, which Miller said is chemically similar to Procter & Gamble's osteoporosis drug Didronel or etidronate.”
“Enterprise Products Partners, an energy infrastructure firm, is profiting from a big rise in demand from petrochemical producers who want cheaper natural-gas feedstocks such as ethane to make plastics.”
“Natural gas is over 99% methane, the remainder being some heavier hydrocarbons such as ethane, propane, and butane.”
“NGL natural gas liquids such as ethane, propane, butane, and others, carbon dioxide, hydrogen sulfide and water vapor may also be present.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ethane’.
All the scientific words found in the official EU nomenclature. For the screening I used Vocabgrabber of the Visual Thesaurus.
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Looking for tweets for ethane.