from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of numerous organic compounds, such as benzene and methane, that contain only carbon and hydrogen.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A compound consisting only of carbon and hydrogen atoms.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A compound containing only hydrogen and carbon, as methane, benzene, etc.; also, by extension, any of their derivatives.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A compound of hydrogen and carbon; the general name of any compound consisting of hydrogen and carbon alone.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an organic compound containing only carbon and hydrogen
Sometimes when a hydrocarbon is aspirated, the coughing does not begin until much later.
In addition, aspiration may occur as the result of re-exposure of the larynx to hydrocarbon from the tip of the tube during removal.
Azerbaijan, rich in hydrocarbon reserves and the current darling of western energy companies, is finding the present situation untenable.
The main reason for concern when a hydrocarbon is swallowed is that the child will choke on it and breathe it into the lungs.
Never induce vomiting when a hydrocarbon is swallowed because this increases the chances of the hydrocarbon slipping into the airway.
Methane, a hydrocarbon, is more efficient IR spectrum absorber thanCO2.
Methane, a hydrocarbon, is more efficient IR spectrum absorber than CO2.
Those who read this blog know that I am skeptical that the harm from man-made global warming is bad enough to justify large, immediate Kyoto-like reductions in hydrocarbon consumption.
Among the experts were a state criminologist, a specialist in hydrocarbon and chemical fires, an electrical engineer, an arson authority and another expert on fire burn patterns.
China faces numerous risks in the Latin American hydrocarbon sector.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.