American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of numerous organic compounds, such as benzene and methane, that contain only carbon and hydrogen.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A compound of hydrogen and carbon; the general name of any compound consisting of hydrogen and carbon alone. The hydrocarbons are an exceedingly large and important group of compounds, and with their derivatives form the subject-matter of organic chemistry.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Chem.) A compound containing only hydrogen and carbon, as methane, benzene, etc.; also, by extension, any of their derivatives.
- n. an organic compound containing only carbon and hydrogen
- hydro- + carbon (Wiktionary)
“Sometimes when a hydrocarbon is aspirated, the coughing does not begin until much later.”
“In addition, aspiration may occur as the result of re-exposure of the larynx to hydrocarbon from the tip of the tube during removal.”
“Azerbaijan, rich in hydrocarbon reserves and the current darling of western energy companies, is finding the present situation untenable.”
“The main reason for concern when a hydrocarbon is swallowed is that the child will choke on it and breathe it into the lungs.”
“Never induce vomiting when a hydrocarbon is swallowed because this increases the chances of the hydrocarbon slipping into the airway.”
“Methane, a hydrocarbon, is more efficient IR spectrum absorber thanCO2.”
“Methane, a hydrocarbon, is more efficient IR spectrum absorber than CO2.”
“Those who read this blog know that I am skeptical that the harm from man-made global warming is bad enough to justify large, immediate Kyoto-like reductions in hydrocarbon consumption.”
“Among the experts were a state criminologist, a specialist in hydrocarbon and chemical fires, an electrical engineer, an arson authority and another expert on fire burn patterns.”
“China faces numerous risks in the Latin American hydrocarbon sector.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hydrocarbon’.
All the scientific words found in the official EU nomenclature. For the screening I used Vocabgrabber of the Visual Thesaurus.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Words that sound like you're saying hi to a person.
random scientific terms from a group of one hundred 16-18 year olds to choose 100 words that, in their collective opinion, represent crucial factors and concepts influencing trends in science today...
The popular Belgian cartoon Tintin contains a memorable character in the form of Captain Haddock. He has a remarkable repertory of insults, which render just as well in the English translation. Thi...
Looking for tweets for hydrocarbon.