from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of numerous organic compounds, such as benzene and methane, that contain only carbon and hydrogen.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A compound consisting only of carbon and hydrogen atoms.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A compound containing only hydrogen and carbon, as methane, benzene, etc.; also, by extension, any of their derivatives.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A compound of hydrogen and carbon; the general name of any compound consisting of hydrogen and carbon alone.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an organic compound containing only carbon and hydrogen
hydro- + carbon (Wiktionary)