from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A beam or bar armed with iron spikes, and turning on a pivot, used to block up a passage.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A beam or bar armed with iron spikes, and turning on a pivot; -- used to block up a passage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In heraldry, a hedgehog.
- n. In fort., a beam armed with iron spikes pointing outward, and turning on a pivot like a turnstile, used to defend a passage.
- n. A sort of wooden horse set with spikes or points, formerly used as a military punishment, the culprit being mounted upon it.
- n. The punishment so inflicted.
French hérisson, hedgehog. (Wiktionary)