from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Biology Characterized by the fusion of unlike gametes in the reproductive process.
- adj. Biology Characterized by reproduction involving the alternation of sexual and parthenogenetic generations.
- adj. Botany Bearing male and female flowers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. in which the stamens and pistils are not present in every flower; i.e. there are male and female flowers
- adj. characterized by alternating generations of a parthenogenetic and sexual nature
- adj. involving heterogametes in the reproductive process
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. The condition of having two or more kinds of flowers which differ in regard to stamens and pistils, as in the aster.
- adj. Characterized by heterogamy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In botany, bearing two kinds of flowers which differ sexually, as in most Compositæ and many Cyperaceæ.
- Illustrative of or characterized by heterogenesis, or alternation of generations.
- Of or pertaining to heterogamy, or the marriage or pairing of unlike individuals.
hetero- + -gamous (Wiktionary)