from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Alternation of sexual and parthenogenic generations, as in some aphids.
- n. The state or condition in which conjugating gametes are dissimilar in structure and size as well as in function.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of conjugating gametes that are different in size, structure and function
- n. Marriage or similar union between people of different sexes, or social strata, such as races,.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The process of fertilization in plants by an indirect or circuitous method; -- opposed to orthogamy.
- n. That form of alternate generation in which two kinds of sexual generation, or a sexual and a parthenogenetic generation, alternate; -- in distinction from
metagenesis, where sexual and asexual generations alternate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or quality of being heterogamous; mediate or indirect fertilization of plants. See extract under Chermes.
- n. In biology, heterogenesis, or alternation of generations, considered as an alternation between sexual and asexual reproduction or between parthenogenesis and bisexual reproduction.
- n. Marriage or mating or pairing between unlike individuals, as contrasted with homogamy, or the mating of like with like.
hetero- + -gamy (Wiktionary)