from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An incorrect spelling; a spelling different from accepted spelling.
- n. Spelling in which a particular letter represents more than one possible sound.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That method of spelling in which the same letters represent different sounds in different words, as in the ordinary English orthography; e. g., g in get and in ginger.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Heterogeneous spelling; the use of the same letter or letters with different powers in different positions or in different words, as of c in call and cell, ough in rough, dough, and hough, etc.
- n. The writing of another word instead of the one intended by the writer: analogous to heterophemy.
hetero- + -graphy (Wiktionary)