Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That which serves for shelter or protection in winter; winter quarters.
- n. In horticulture, a covering or protection for young buds during winter.
- n. Same as hibernaculum, 2.
- n. That which serves as a winter retreat.
- n. Winter quarters.
- n. The place where an animal hibernates.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. That which serves for protection or shelter in winter; winter quarters.
“Late in November, in clearing one out, I brought forth a frog from his hibernacle in the leaves at the bottom.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hibernacle’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
This is the place to add words you'd like Charles Harrington Elster to pronounce for you!
Catch-all for things culled from Weird and Wonderful Words, More Weird and Wonderful Words, and Totally Weird and Wonderful Words, by Erin McKean, et al.
how many words can I make mine this summer?
Shiny, tinkly-trinkety miniments.. (a place to hang my windchime-words).
The rare, the obsolete, the freakin' awesome.
Looking for tweets for hibernacle.