American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A transparent emerald-green variety of spodumene, used as a gemstone.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A transparent emerald-green or yellowish-green variety of spodumene, found in North Carolina in small crystals of prismatic habit. It is highly esteemed as a gem. Also called lithia emerald, in allusion to its composition and color.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Min.) An emerald-green variety of spodumene found in North Carolina; lithia emerald, -- used as a gem.
- Hidden + -ite, named after W E Hidden. (Wiktionary)
- After William Earl Hidden (1853-1918), American mineralogist. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The company estimates the value of this entire yield of hiddenite at about $2,500.”
“It is noted chiefly for the hiddenite gem, fine emeralds and beautiful specimens of quartz crystals; but gold, monazite and other minerals are found.”
“At one time a considerable amount of mining was done by the Emerald and Hiddenite Mining Company in search of these gems, and with gratifying success, as crystals of hiddenite and chrome-green beryl of exceptional size and conspicuous beauty were obtained.”
“Page 109 the energy and enterprise of Mr. Hidden is due the introduction of hiddenite as a gem of rarity and with an established commercial”
“The accidental discovery some fifteen years ago of emerald and hiddenite in Alexander county, where gem mining on a considerable scale was conducted for several years, may be considered the beginning of this industry.”
“The largest plant operated for gems exclusively was that in Alexander county, where emerald, hiddenite, beryl, rarely terminated rutile, and exquisite shades of garnets were found; and next to this should be mentioned Corundum Hill in Macon county, where rubies, sapphires, beryls and garnets are gathered incidentally in washing corundum for the markets.”
“Emeralds and another gem, hiddenite, are found only in that area”
“Somebody got to my site searching for "is hiddenite mine a scam" - no, it's not, they are quite open about how they operate.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hiddenite’.
List of minerals, elements, group names and geochemistry terms encountered in the science of mineralogy. I've chosen to avoid capital letters in most examples, though a great many mineral names hon...
A lits of greens: cooked leafy vegetables; pigments, paint names, compound words, etc; words and phrases that pertain to or contain "green". Please add your favorites!
See this list f...
Looking for tweets for hiddenite.