from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A transparent emerald-green variety of spodumene, used as a gemstone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A pale green form of spodumene that is sometimes used as a gemstone
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An emerald-green variety of spodumene found in North Carolina; lithia emerald, -- used as a gem.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A transparent emerald-green or yellowish-green variety of spodumene, found in North Carolina in small crystals of prismatic habit. It is highly esteemed as a gem. Also called lithia emerald, in allusion to its composition and color.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a green transparent form of the mineral spodumene used as a gemstone
After William Earl Hidden (1853-1918), American mineralogist.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Hidden + -ite, named after W E Hidden. (Wiktionary)