from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A greenish to pinkish or lilac mineral, LiAlSi2O6, used as a source of lithium and in transparent varieties as a gemstone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A greenish, yellowish or pinkish mineral, a lithium pyroxene (LiAl(SiO3)2) that is an ore of lithium, and a gemstone
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mineral of a white to yellowish, purplish, or emerald-green color, occurring in prismatic crystals, often of great size. It is a silicate of alumina and lithia. See hiddenite.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A silicate of aluminium and lithium, occurring usually in flattened prismatic crystals, near pyroxene in form, also in cleavable masses.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a pyroxene mineral consisting of lithium aluminum silicate; a source of lithium
French spodumène, from German Spodumen, from Greek spodoumenos, present participle of spodousthai, to be burned to ashes, from spodos, wood ashes (because the mineral becomes ash gray when exposed to air).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)