from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who is extravagant or extreme in manner or opinions.
- n. A stock that sells well above its original value.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who or a type of aircraft that flies at high elevations.
- n. An ambitious person, especially one who takes risks or has an extravagant lifestyle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who is extravagant in pretensions, opinions, or manners; one who is highfaluting.
- n. a person of great ability and ambition.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bird that flies to a great height; hence, one who is extravagant or goes to extremes in his aims, actions, or pretensions: sometimes applied in England to a genteel beggar.
- n. One of certain geometrid moths: an English collector’ name. The ruddy high-flier is Ypsipetes ruberata; the July high-flier is Y. elutata.
- n. A phaëton with low front wheels, arched reaches, and boxes over both axles.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person of great ability and ambition
Sorry, no etymologies found.