from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A short nail with a thick head used to protect the soles of shoes or boots.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A short nail with a thick head, typically used in boot soles.
- v. To fit with hobnails.
- v. To tread down roughly, as with hobnailed shoes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A short, sharp-pointed, large-headed nail, -- used in shoeing horses and for studding the soles of heavy shoes.
- n. A clownish person; a rustic.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To furnish or fasten with hobnails.
- To tread roughly upon, as with heavy hobnailed shoes.
- n. A short thick nail with a pointed tang and a large head, used for nailing the soles of heavy boots and shoes.
- n. A clownish person: used in contempt.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. supply with hobnails
- n. a short nail with a thick head; used to protect the soles of boots
If all the generals put away their hobnail boots, war would forever be put away.
All the beautiful little hints of intrigue were stomped down with movie-length hobnail boots.
This did not work out the way I thought it was going to, as a matter of fact the dark thing only stepped on my chest a couple of times with its hobnail feet and then rolled me back into the opposite direction, with very little effort I might add.
But while Heat raised an eyebrow, Holy Moly – like Popbitch – applied a hobnail boot.
"This legislation stamps on all that with a clunking, hobnail boot." ...
The filibuster will be there long after I've been thrown in the hole, because it's like a big old hobnail-boot ass-kicking machine.
Well, in so doing they present to the world their backsides to which the world should now administer its well-placed hobnail boot.
OK OK, I'll get a pair of hobnail boots and practice goose-stepping and idol-worshipping, so that I can get along better with the Obama people.
* PB taiks a inglish brekfuss tee no mlik wib hobnail bikky *
I know that, were I to read a fic, the impulse would be overwhelming to land all over the writer with hobnail boots, “No, this character would NEVER say that.”
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.