from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A square dance.
- n. The music for a square dance.
- n. A social gathering at which square dancing takes place.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of American folk or square dance.
- n. The type of music typically played for such a dance
- n. A gathering at which such dances take place.
- v. To dance a hoedown dance
1835–45, Americanism; hoe + down. Social gathering after work time has finished (Wiktionary)