American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A relatively soft, malleable, stable rare-earth element occurring in gadolinite, monazite, and other rare-earth minerals. Atomic number 67; atomic weight 164.930; melting point 1,461°C; boiling point 2,600°C; specific gravity 8.803; valence 3. See Table at element.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Chemical symbol, Ho. A certain substance whose chemical properties have not been investigated, but which is assumed to be an elementary substance.
- n. A metallic chemical element (symbol Ho) with an atomic number of 67.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Chem.) A rare element of atomic number 67 said to be contained in gadolinite. Chemical symbol Ho. Atomic weight 164.93. Valence +3. It was detected by spectral absorption bands in 1878 by the Delafontaine and Soret, who called it "Element X". Later the Swedish chemist Cleve independently discovered it in erbia, and named it after his native city Stockholm. The first preparation of pure Holmia, the yellow oxide, was not made until 1911.
- n. a trivalent metallic element of the rare earth group; occurs together with yttrium; forms highly magnetic compounds
- From Latin Holmia ("Stockholm"), the hometown of Per Teodor Cleve, one of the discoverers of holmium. (Wiktionary)
- After Holmia (Stockholm), Sweden. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The monopoles reported in September exist only in materials such as holmium titanate and dysprosium titanate, which are known as spin ices/glass.”
“Words like yttrium, holmium, lanthanum, and thulium don't exactly roll off the tongue.”
“SCARLET argon dysprosium erbium holmium lutecium manganese thulium ytterbium”
“Professor of Chemistry in Uppsala, and the discoverer of the elements thulium and holmium.”
“Of the rare-earth metals many - yttrium, terbium, erbium, ytterbium, scandium, thulium, holmium - have been given names that show their origin in various Swedish localities.”
“Our market leading holmium: YAG laser system and single use fiber-optic delivery systems are used to perform a FDA-cleared surgical procedure known as Transmyocardial Revascularization (TMR).”
“Swedish chemist and geologist who discovered the elements holmium and thulium.”
“There's holmium and helium and hafnium and erbium,”
“Technical Report: "Overall leach extraction of heavy rare earths (terbium, dysprosium, erbium, holmium, thulium, ytterbium and lutetium) plus yttrium, in all leach tests averaged 64%.”
“The PowerSuite laser system, the first holmium laser cleared by the FDA for treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), is also effective for surgical removal of stones, tumors and strictures.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘holmium’.
A list of chemical elements
words associated with LASERS.
( open list, randomness )
NOTE: i'd like to keep the list specific to the LASER itself (Any LASER), and leave out applied sciences..
Looking for tweets for holmium.