from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various echinoderms of the class Holothuroidea, which includes the sea cucumbers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. sea cucumber (of the class Holothuroidea)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Belonging to the Holothurioidea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the Holothurioidea; a sea-cucumber, sea-slug, trepang, or bêche-de-mer.
- Pertaining to or having the characters of the Holothurioidea.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. echinoderm having a flexible sausage-shaped body, tentacles surrounding the mouth and tube feet; free-living mud feeders
From Latin holothūria, water polyp, from Greek holothourion.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Ancient Greek ὅλος ("whole") + θύρα ("entrance") + -ian (Wiktionary)