from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An organism, such as a mammal or bird, having a body temperature that is constant and largely independent of the temperature of its surroundings; an endotherm.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A creature that maintains a stable internal body temperature regardless of external influence.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A homoiothermal animal.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An animal with a bodily temperature which is nearly constant and independent of, and usually higher than, that of the surrounding medium; a warm-blooded animal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an animal that has a body temperature that is relatively constant and independent of the environmental temperature
Ancient Greek homoios, "similar", and thermē, "heat". (Wiktionary)
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.