from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Tylosurus crocodilus, a large gamefish of the family Belonidae.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any small shark of the genus Galeus or Mustelus, of which there are several species, as the smooth houndfish (Galeus canis), of Europe and America; -- called also houndshark, and dogfish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A shark of the genus Scylliorhinus and some similar species. See dogfish
- n. Also called hound.
- n. A species of belonids of the genus Tylosurus, such as the T. jonesi (Bermuda) and T. acus.
- n. The bluefish, Pomatomus saltatrix, formerly called blue houndfish in Massachusetts. See cut under bluefish.
- n. The Spanish mackerel, Scomberomorus maculatus, formerly called speckled houndfish in Massachusetts.
- n. A name applied to fishes of the genus Tylosurus, especially to T. raphidoma and T. acus, both of the West Indies.
hound + fish (Wiktionary)