American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or belonging to the order Hymenoptera.
- n. Any insects of the order Hymenoptera, including the bees, wasps, and ants, often living in complex social groups and characteristically having two pairs of membranous wings.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as hymenopter.
- n. biology Any insect of the order Hymenoptera; the bees, wasps and ants etc.
- adj. Characteristic of these insects
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) One of the Hymenoptera.
- n. insects having two pairs of membranous wings and an ovipositor specialized for stinging or piercing
- From New Latin Hymenoptera, order name, from Greek humenopteros, membrane-winged : humēn, membrane; see hymen + pteron, wing; see -pter. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Nor has a single example come to light from among the 4,000 known hymenopteran sawflies and horntails, even though their larvae often form dense cooperative aggregations.”
“A phylogenetic analysis revealed that HEX 110 is located at the most basal position among the holometabola hexamerins, and like HEX 70a and HEX 70c, it shares potential orthology relationship with hexamerins from other hymenopteran species.”
“D, Fietz A, Hertel H, de Souza J, Ventura DF, et al. (1992) The spectral input systems of hymenopteran insects and their receptor-based colour vision.”
“Further spectral analysis was done on 20 of these cells, confirming that these were UV, blue and green photoreceptors typical of other trichromatic hymenopteran species”
“Surprisingly, two studies have reported considerable amounts of Further, aphids and other phloem feeders produce honeydew which is an important source of carbohydrates for sugar feeding arthropods, including hymenopteran parasitoids and aphid predators”
“Wäckers FL (2001) A comparison of nectar - and honeydew sugars with respect to their utilization by the hymenopteran parasitoid”
“The hymenopteran emphasis leads to a certain amount of parochialism, though, and to the neglect of some relevant literature.”
“Such information could support efforts to produce artificial diets for parasitoid wasp mass rearing in biological control and improve hymenopteran cell culture methods ".”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hymenopteran’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Can you spot the twoishness?
Looking for tweets for hymenopteran.