Definitions

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. Affliction which causes the sufferer to transcribe their thoughts uncontrollably, presumably caused by temporal lobe epilepsy, or a right cerebral stroke.

Etymologies

Sorry, no etymologies found.

Examples

  • - – As of current, hypergraphia is understood to be triggered by changes in brainwave activity in the temporal lobe.

    Eight Diseases that Give You Super Human Powers | Impact Lab

  • Of course, it's also not helping that I'm over that bout of hypergraphia I was having between 2001-2005 or so, and writing has (mostly) stopped being a compulsion, except when something really gets me by the throat and I have to write it now.

    breathe in, breathe out, move on

  • The first researcher to note and catalog the abnormal experiences associated with TLE was neurologist Norman Geschwind, who noted a constellation of symptoms, including hypergraphia, hyperreligiosity, fainting spells, mutism and pedantism, often collectively ascribed to a condition known as Geschwind syndrome.

    Eight Diseases that Give You Super Human Powers | Impact Lab

  • What about Christian Science, built on the hypergraphia of Mary Baker Eddy, who was probably suffering from temporal lobe epilepsy?

    i'm with

  • Hypergraffitis: "..... a compulsive need to write all over everything", outdoors. (not be confused with hypergraphia) 10: 01 AM

    Graffitis

  • Woolfian greatness of, 157; as Rushdie fan, 157; as disappointing husband, 158-159; as slogger, 158; hypergraphia of, 158

    Who's Who

  • That correspondent defines my affliction as hypergraphia – words flowing out all the time in an obsessive fashion, always writing – if not this, then that, and many things at once.

    Just curious

  • Though she perceptively points out that writer's block and hypergraphia are less opposites than symptoms of a more generally disordered relationship with writing, I am obviously--at least 90% of the time, there's always the other 10% when things are considerably more difficult--more afflicted with the too-much of reading and writing than the too-little.

    The limbic system stands up for its rights

  • How is vocation related to workaholism, and is hypergraphia a special case of either?

    The limbic system stands up for its rights

  • The scientist in me worries that my happiness is nothing more than a symptom of bipolar disease, hypergraphia from a postpartum disorder.

    The limbic system stands up for its rights

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.

Comments

Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • “The midnight disease�?—an insatiable desire to write.

    January 9, 2008