from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Roman Catholic Church In secret or private. Used of appointments of cardinals by the pope undisclosed in consistory.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Secret, private.
- adj. Designated as a cardinal but not yet announced.
- adv. Privately, in secret.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. in the breast; hence, in secrecy; in reserve.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In or within the breast; in reserve; not disclosed.
Italian : in, in + petto, breast.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Italian in ("in") and petto ("chest"). (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.