from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrument used to determine the angle of the earth's magnetic field in respect to the horizontal plane.
- n. An instrument for showing the inclination of an aircraft or ship relative to the horizontal.
- n. See clinometer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An instrument that displays the angle of an aircraft relative to the horizon
- n. An instrument that measures magnetic dip; a dip circle
- n. A surveying instrument that measures angles of inclination or elevation; a clinometer
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In magnetism, an apparatus for determining the vertical component of the earth's magnetic force.
- n. An instrument for ascertaining the slope of an embankment; a clinometer or batter-level.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an instrument used by surveyors in order to measure an angle of inclination or elevation
- n. an instrument showing the angle that an aircraft makes with the horizon
- n. a measuring instrument for measuring the angle of magnetic dip (as from an airplane)
Sorry, no etymologies found.