from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or being the grammatical case indicating placement within a location in some languages, as in Finnish Helsinkissä "in Helsinki.”
- n. The inessive case.
- n. A word or form in the inessive case.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, or relating to the grammatical case that in some languages indicates the state of being in or inside a location.
- n. The inessive case, or a word in that case.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In grammar, expressing ‘position in’; locative.
in- (“in”) + essive (Wiktionary)