Did you by any chance mean Insecta?
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A class or other large division of invertebrated animals, to which different limits have been assigned. With Linnæus, a class divided into eight orders: Coleoptera, Hemiptera, Lepidoptera, Neuroptera, Hymenoptera, Diptera, and Aptera. But the last of these orders included crustaceans and arachnidans, so that in this sense Insecta corresponds to the Cuvierian Articulata, the Latreillean Condylopoda, or the modern Arthropoda, one of the main branches of the animal kingdom.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) One of the classes of Arthropoda, including those that have one pair of antennæ, three pairs of mouth organs, and breathe air by means of tracheæ, opening by spiracles along the sides of the body. In this sense it includes the Hexapoda, or six-legged insects and the Myriapoda, with numerous legs. See insect, n.
- n. (Zoöl.) In a more restricted sense, the Hexapoda alone. See Hexapoda.
- n. (Zoöl.) In the most general sense, the Hexapoda, Myriapoda, and Arachnoidea, combined.
- n. insects; about five-sixths of all known animal species
“It is hard to believe that they all belong to the same family called insecta, but they do. ”
“It is also a typical insect, so that a careful study serves as a basis for a knowledge of the class _insecta_.”
“A large proportion of the insecta are too light-minded and frivolous to care for smoking.”
“ In mentioning some of the Thames _insecta_ I have also noticed some of the _mollusca_ and _crustacea_.”
“Bacon uses generally, I know not whether always, ‘insecta’ for”
“The more I read about plants the more I get to feel that all phanerogams seem comparable with one class, as lepidoptera, rather than with one kingdom, as the whole insecta.”
““The Formes of pure celestiall bodies mixt with grosse terrestrials; earthly animals with watery; sauage beasts with tame; fowles of prey with home-bred; these again with riuer fowles; reptiles with things gressible; aery insecta with earthly; also things naturall with artificiall.””
“Hence the difficulties which have embarrassed the naturalists, who adopt the Linnæan classification, in their endeavours to discover determinate characters of distinction between the vermes and the insecta.”
“The most unique features in the class insecta are wings.”
“Tiger moth is usually immaculate. insecta, the moth is divided into three parts; head, thorax, and abdomen antennae which have sensors that allow moth to measure humidity and flight speed.”
Looking for tweets for insecta.