from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Protected from heat, cold, noise etc, by being surrounded with an insulating material.
- adj. Placed or set apart.
- adj. Isolated or separated from other conducting materials, or sources of electricity.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of insulate.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Standing by itself; not being contiguous to other bodies; separated; unconnected; isolated.
- adj. Separated from other bodies by means of nonconductors of heat or electricity.
- adj. Situated at so great a distance as to be beyond the effect of gravitation; -- said of stars supposed to be so far apart that the affect of their mutual attraction is insensible.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Being in a state of insulation, in any sense of that word; in a restricted sense, so remote from other bodies as to be beyond the reach of any sensible attraction, as solitary or isolated stars.
Sorry, no etymologies found.