from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Between; among: international.
- In the midst of; within: intertropical.
- Mutual; mutually: interrelate.
- Reciprocal; reciprocally: intermingle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- among, between, amid, during, within, mutual, reciprocal
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A prefix signifying among, between, amid.
Middle English entre-, inter-, from Old French entre-, from Latin inter-, from inter; see en in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin inter- ("between"), changed to intel- before l as in intellegere; see also inter ("between"). (Wiktionary)