from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The lowest of the three major bones that constitute each half of the pelvis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The lowest of the three bones that make up each side of the pelvis.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy, the posterior part of the pelvic arch in vertebrates, the lowermost of the three parts forming the os innominatum.
- n. In Crustacea, the third joint of the normally 7-jointed leg; the ischiopodite.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one of the three sections of the hipbone; situated below the ilium
Latin, hip joint, from Greek iskhion.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)