from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various tropical American birds of the family Galbulidae, having iridescent plumage and a long bill.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various insectivorous tropical birds, of the family Galbulidae, having iridescent plumage and a long, sharp bill.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of numerous species of tropical American birds of the genus Galbula and allied genera. They are allied to the kingfishers, but climb on tree trunks like nuthatches, and feed upon insects. Their colors are often brilliant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any South American bird of the family Galbulidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. tropical American insectivorous bird having a long sharp bill and iridescent green or bronze plumage
French, possibly of Tupian origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)