from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tropical Asian tree (Artocarpus heterophyllus) having large edible fruits, unisexual flowers, and fine-grained durable wood.
- n. The fruit of this tree.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tree, scientific name Artocarpus heterophyllus, of the Moraceae family, which produces edible fruit.
- n. The large fruit from this tree.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The fruit of the jack-tree.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. East Indian tree cultivated for its immense edible fruit and seeds
- n. immense East Indian fruit resembling breadfruit; it contains an edible pulp and nutritious seeds that are commonly roasted
Portuguese jaca (from Malayalam cakkai) + fruit.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Portuguese jaca ("jackfruit"), from Malayalam ചക്ക (chakka). (Wiktionary)