from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal A short space of time; a moment. See Synonyms at moment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A very short, unspecified length of time.
- n. A unit of time defined by the frequency of its basic timer; historically, and by convention, 0.01 seconds, but some operating systems use other values.
- n. The time between alternating current power cycles (1/60 or 1/50 of a second)
- n. The time taken for light to travel one centimetre in a vacuum (sometimes one foot, or sometimes the width of a nucleon)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A moment; an instant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A moment; an instant: as, I shall be with you in a jiffy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a very short time (as the time it takes the eye to blink or the heart to beat)
Pulling out into traffic with confidence that what you've got behind the throttle will get with the flow in a jiffy is a HUGE plus side to the Burgman as compared to the smaller scoots.
As well as one of the few remaining human beings capable of using the word "jiffy" without corniness or ironic intent.
Many hands make light work, and in what Bobolink called a "jiffy" there came plenty of wood of all kinds, from dead branches to small-sized logs.
Grandpa's slow tones and the "jiffy" was very funny.
He assured me he'd be back in a "jiffy" and turned to head back into the garage.
A "jiffy" is an actual unit of time for 1 / 100th of a second.
I'll find her in a jiffy, which is very quick time, indeed, "he told the children.
Does your recipe have jiffy corn bread mix in it? vegas710
And then, all seriousness and practicality, she went on: But we'll have that righted in a jiffy.
If you want to, a quick light pull will jiffy her up and back and make a pretty mess all over your nice floor.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.