from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Relating to a yoke or marriage
- adj. Pertaining to the jugal bone.
- n. A bone found in the skull of most reptiles, amphibians and birds; the equivalent of a malar in mammals.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Relating to a yoke, or to marriage.
- adj. Pertaining to, or in the region of, the malar, or cheek bone.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating to a yoke or to marriage; conjugal.
- Pertaining to the jugal; malar; zygomatic.
- n. One of the bones of the zygoma or zygomatic arch; the malar bone, or principal cheek-bone, especially in those animals, as birds, in which it is a slender rod interposed between a quadrate or quadratojugal bone and the superior maxillary or lacrymal bone. When short and stout, as in man
- n. Same as suborbital
- n. .
Sorry, no etymologies found.
These guys had very oddly-shaped heads, which I'm probably not going to be able to convey in a profile shot -- they were almost triangular, with the jugal horns flaring way out and very narrow beaks.
Co-ossification of the epinasal, rostral, and epijugals unites several of the anterior (rostral-nasal-premaxillae) and lateral (jugal-quadratojugal) skull elements.
The area of zygomaticomaxillary suture (joint between the cheekbone and upper jaw) showing the "nick," that is, the misalignment of bones owing to the fact that some fragments, such as the jugal crest shown here, are badly stuck together.
The mandibular arch in the developing fish is abruptly angled, as in the embryo of Tetrapoda; the upper prong of it ossifies into the palatine and pterygoid; at the angle is formed the quadrate (jugal, Cuvier), and to the quadrate is articulated the lower jaw, which ossifies round the lower prong or Meckel's cartilage.
The upper jaw has a great bar of cartilage, the palato-pterygoid, as its sole support; the arch of premaxilla, maxilla, jugal, and squamosal -- all membrane bones -- is, of course, not represented.
A closer approximation to the state of the case will be reached if the student will imagine the maxilla raised up so as to overlie and hide the palatine and presphenoid, the squamosal similarly overlying the periotic bone, and the jugal reaching between them.
- A paired ossification appears in the palato-pterygoid cartilage the pterygoid bone (pt.), while - A splint of bone, the quadrato-jugal, appears at the angle of articulation with the lower jaw.
* The jugal or malar (ju.) reaches over from the maxilla to meet a zygomatic process (= connecting outgrowth) (z.p.) of the squamosal bone.
My wife was to be perfection itself, our mutual love was to be incomparable, the purity of our con - jugal life stainless.
The frontal and jugal bones in old specimens of this species are united by a bar which forms a complete bony orbit -- a peculiarity possessed, as I have before observed, by _F. longicaudata_, but by few other felines.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.