from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Variant of kaffir.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Infidel, pagan, non-believer; a non-Muslim aside from ahl al-kitab (Christians, Jews, etc.).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as kaffir.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An unbeliever; an infidel: applied malevolently by Mohammedans to Christians and pagan negroes.
- n. One of a South African race, inhabiting parts of Cape Colony, Natal, and neighboring lands: so called originally by the Mohammedan inhabitants of eastern Africa, on account of their refusal to accept the faith of Mohammed.
- n. The language of the Kafirs, a branch of the South African or Bantu family. It is also called Zulu-Kafir.
- n. One of a race inhabiting Kafiristan, a mountainous region on the northeast of Afghanistan, who have always maintained their independence and resisted conversion to Mohammedanism.
- Of or belonging to the Kafirs: as, the Kafir tongue; Kafir customs.
- Also written Caffer, Caffre, Kaffer, Kaffre.
- n. plural The stock-exchange term for South African mine shares.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of the Kafir people in northeastern Afghanistan
- n. an offensive and insulting term for any Black African
The term kafir is often qualified, in both historical and legal texts, by the word "accursed," though not invariably.
The term kafir, in Turkish gavur, in the central lands of Islam, has been used since early times for all non-Muslims, whether monotheists or idolaters.
I have pointed out before, a careful study of the word kafir or infidel in the Qur'an will show that it never is used in an unadorned way to refer to non-Muslims in general.
Shubaylat refused to declare Zarqawi a "kafir"--as the Iraqi Shi`ite guest kept requesting--because he said that he is opposed to the very method.
The hybrids were developed by crossing sorghums from southern Africa (the so-called kafir type) with others from Central Africa (caudatum types).
The word kuffar appears to be an alternative spelling of kafir, an Arabic word meaning "unbeliever."
In the west, as well as in Asia and Africa, including in some Muslim-majority countries, I have repeatedly been called a kafir (disbeliever), a murtad (apostate) or an impostor seeking to adulterate Islam and destroy it from within.
I am calling your kafir yuppie ass to a fight with no rules and we can do this at any number of masjids.
I am sure that given the change the barbarian untermenchen would have used them without a second thought to exterminate us so called "kafir" in their perverted holy war.
The labourer's share was a weekly wage of 7s. 6d. or 10s. and rations worth 6s. 6d. consisting of twenty-five pounds of mealie-meal (but whole mealies came much cheaper), an issue of coarse meat (called 'kafir' meat in the trade), a handful of coarse tobacco, and a
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.