American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A mock court set up in violation of established legal procedure.
- n. A court characterized by dishonesty or incompetence.
- n. idiomatic A judicial or quasi-judicial proceeding, or a group which conducts such proceedings, which is without proper authority, abusive, or otherwise unjust.
- n. an irregular unauthorized court
- First attested 1853 in a Texas context, possibly from the notion of proceeding by leaps or because the kangaroo's appearance defies nature. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘kangaroo court’.
Variations on the word court.
cat-o-nine-tails, snake in the grass, puppy love, white elephant, crocodile tears, monkey business, keep the wolf fro..., culture vulture, black sheep of th..., scapegoat, ugly duckling, swan song and 260 more...
I'm looking for compounds or phrases where the character of an animal is essential to the meaning, yet the term is usable in general conversation.
Hello, and Welcome™! Come and visit our most diverse land of our Animalesque™ adventures. Here at Noah's Park™ we have Virtually All You'd Ever Want To See™. An experience that is related to ani...
good grief, I'm getting irritable.
Words or short phrases with animal names in them. Since I already have a dedicated list for 'monkey' words I shall leave them out of this one for the moment.
My K Words
Words I heard there. Or from Australians.
Looking for tweets for kangaroo court.