from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A loud, discordant noise.
- n. A hangover.
- n. A state of depression or bewilderment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. hangover
- n. jitters; discord; confusion
- n. depression
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. loud confused noise from many sources
- n. disagreeable aftereffects from the use of drugs (especially alcohol)
German, hangover : Katzen, pl. of Katze, cat (from Middle High German katze, from Old High German kazza; akin to Old English catt; see cat) + Jammer, wailing (from Middle High German jāmer, from Old High German jāmar, misery).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
German Katzenjammer ("the wailing of cats"), hangover; a compound formed from Katzen (plural of Katze), cat + jammer, wailing or distress. (Wiktionary)