American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A loud, discordant noise.
- n. A hangover.
- n. A state of depression or bewilderment.
- n. loud confused noise from many sources
- n. disagreeable aftereffects from the use of drugs (especially alcohol)
- German Katzenjammer ("the wailing of cats"), hangover; a compound formed from Katzen (plural of Katze), cat + jammer, wailing or distress. (Wiktionary)
- German, hangover : Katzen, pl. of Katze, cat (from Middle High German katze, from Old High German kazza; akin to Old English catt; see cat) + Jammer, wailing (from Middle High German jāmer, from Old High German jāmar, misery). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“(Alas! as I was to learn at a later period, intellectual intoxication too. has its katzenjammer.) « Table of contents”
“From below deck, a katzenjammer of libidinous voices is heard.”
“If in doing so he were to be perceived as another wealthy and indolent foreigner (usually German or French but not always so) suffering and despondent because of a katzenjammer from a previous night of quaffing Laos Beer, so be it.”
“Afar from honks of motor cars, and all the city's clamor, I'd like to sleep beneath the stars, and feel no katzenjammer when in the vernal dawn I wake, as chipper as the foxes, to eat my frugal oatmeal cake put up in paper boxes.”
“You've got an awful katzenjammer from the Stokes 'dinner, and all you men ought to be horsewhipped for letting yourselves in for such a party.”
“The cynic who housed in a tub and clothed himself with a second-hand carpet is as rich to-day as he that reveled in the spoil of Persia's conquered king and kicked the bucket while enjoying a case of katzenjammer.”
“In an orchestra of eighty men there is inevitably at least one man with a sore thumb, or bad kidneys, or a brutal wife, or _katzenjammer_ -- and one is enough.”
“(Alas! as I was to learn at a later period, intellectual intoxication too. has its katzenjammer.)”
“An orgy in cans and bottles, a bacchanalian revel: a cupboard full of indigestion, joy, forgetfulness and katzenjammer.”
“Should he find a man suffering with katzenjammer he would pronounce him a "suspect.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘katzenjammer’.
More words for intermediate and advanced spellers.
Words that clatter and tumble
This is my favorite meter for single words. You could call it BUH-duh-buh-duh.
I collect them and cherish them; please add some. Phrases are also accepted if they've, you know, got it.
Loanwords from German -- some established, some wet behind the ears -- that are difficult to spell, pronounce, or remember.
The most awesome words.
definition look &/or sounds like the word, feels like the word,
// god mandated attempt to realign with the timeless forces of the universe via remastered locution //
Haay gusy! uiI lieke twebb sit e !!
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
unfathomably, glice, cuh, fab, ciggaty, doll, thuggin, oxymoronic, pineapple, succubutt, griming, cheeky and 2369 more...
Looking for tweets for katzenjammer.