American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A sturdy belaying pin for the heavier cables of a ship.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See cavel.
- n. See cavel.
- n. A name of Antilope kavella of Pallas, a supposed species of gazel, later identified with the common gazel, A. dorcas.
- n. Alocalname in Derbyshire, England, for the calcareous gangue of lead ore (galena).
- n. nautical A strong cleat to which large ropes are belayed.
- n. A stonemason's hammer.
- n. A gazelle.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Naut.) A strong cleat to which large ropes are belayed.
- n. A stone mason's hammer.
- n. (Zoöl.) The gazelle.
- English dialect kevil, cavel, rod, pole, a large hammer, horse's bit; compare Icelandic kefli cylinder, a stick, mangle, and Danish kievle a roller. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English kevil, from Old French keville, wooden peg, from Latin clāvicula, diminutive of clāvis, key. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“We walked forward into the bows, and clearly made out the shape of a grapnel thick with shells, with its claws upon the bulwark rail of the half-ship alongside, and there was a line stretched between, belayed to what might have been a kevel on a stanchion of the craft we were in.”
“Mr. O'Neill, acting master's mate, was very severely injured by a hawser to which the schooner was fastened in tow, slipping on a kevel.”
“I crept out of the port into the chains and passed it round the lugger's main-mast, as he told me, handing in the bight to him, which he belayed slack to the main-sheet kevel.”
“I crept out of the port into the chains and passed it round the lugger's mainmast, as he told me, handing in the bight to him, which he belayed slack to the mainsheet kevel.”
“Gold has never been that high and silver last was at that kevel in 1980 when the Hunt Brothers of Texas tried to corner the market with a 200 million oz stockpile.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘kevel’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
there is going to be a lot of words...
I'm wading through Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels one by one, and someday, I'll wade through them again and list all the words I learned while reading them.
Edit: I started ma...
All the words from the Grandiloquent Dictionary.
946 of these 2700 words do not yield any results in six different dictionaries, hence many of them might be misspellings.
Words I've come across while reading and looked up in the dictionary.
a large light-coloured antelope with curled horns. L. from an African word quoted by Pliny.
any one of a group of hollow-horned...
Looking for tweets for kevel.