from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A low-growing, weedy grass (Paspalum distichum) with spikelets arranged in two rows along the rachis.
- n. Any of several weedy plants of the genus Polygonum having stems with nodes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An annual plant, Polygonum aviculare, found in fields and wasteland
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a common weed with jointed stems (Polygonum aviculare); knotweed.
- n. The dog grass. See under dog.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A weed of almost world-wide distribution, Polygonum aviculare: so called from the numerous nodes in its stems and its thickly spreading habit.
- n. By extension, any plant of the genus Polygonum, properly knotweed.
- n. In occasional use, a plant of some other genus more or less similar.
- n. Couch-grass: a use of doubtful appropriateness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. low-growing weedy grass with spikelets along the leaf stems
Sorry, no etymologies found.