from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A ceiling constructed with recessed panels.
- n. A recessed panel in such a ceiling.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to a lacuna
- n. A coffer; a ceiling constructed of coffers
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The ceiling or under surface of any part, especially when it consists of compartments, sunk or hollowed without spaces or bands between the panels.
- n. One of the sunken panels in such a ceiling.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the coffers or sunk compartments in ceilings or soffits formed of beams crossing one another, or resembling in structural form or for purposes of decoration such a construction of beams, as the stone ceilings of the Grecian Doric, those (generally formed of wood and plaster, and profusely decorated with gilding and ornament) common in Renaissance buildings, etc.
- n. Hence A ceiling or soffit having lacunars.
- Of or pertaining to a lacuna.
- Having lacunæ; lacunose. Also lacunal.
Latin lacūnar, from lacūna, hole; see lagoon.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)