Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In farriery, a congestion and swelling of the fleshy lining of the roof of the mouth immediately behind the fore teeth in the horse. It soon subsides if left to itself.
- n. Pl. lampades (-pa-dēz). An early quasi-generic or collective name of the lampshells, or such of the arthropomatous brachiopods as were known a century ago, especially Terebratulidæ. The word is not now used as the name of a genus, and has a plural. See
lampade. Sometimes spelled lampus.
- n. A genus of Foraminifera: same as Robulina.
- n. A genus of gastropods, closely related to Ravella.
- n. Originally, Chinese flowered silk; hence, in modern times, a material of decorative character for upholstery, made of silk and wool.
- n. A type of luxury fabric with a background weft.
- n. An inflammation and swelling of the soft parts of the palate immediately behind the foreteeth in a horse.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. An inflammation and swelling of the soft parts of the roof of the mouth immediately behind the fore teeth in the horse; -- called also
- French lampas. (Wiktionary)
“A lampas is a compound weave with extra warps and wefts which put patterns and colours on the face of the fabric only, and are tucked into the back. ”
“One of a family drenched with train -- oil and brimstone, another cut for some horrible complaint never heard of before, called lampas, and the females sent to the Red Rover, some being in calf already! ”
“Maybe that was the reason why they cut into a large piece of perfectly fine lampas for some fake tailoring - to have a quick yet costly-looking and representative burial dress for the corpse.”
“I'm always reminded a little bit of a baby's romper suit, though the wearer of this expensive, patterned silk lampas certainly didn't romp about anymore, and the piece can have covered only his front.”
“Brocaded silk lampas, with embroidery in silk and silver-gilt thread”
“Picture's Caption: Fragment of a Silk lampas, 14th century, Central Asia or China, silk and gilded paper lamella both spun around silk and woven flat, 228 x 63.5 cm.,”
“Tulad ng lampas sa matwid na ito bilang mga tunog, Sumasang-ayon ako ito ay isang magandang ideya hanggang sa epekto sa kapaligiran ay maaaring tasahin.”
“From Lucca to Florence, from Venice to Genoa, the Italian silk industry supplied all of Europe with silk and gold velvets, with rich damasks and sumptuous lampas.”
“Ano sa tingin ko ay kaya kahanga-hanga, kaya maluwalhati, na ito ay may wakas na lampas-intindi.”
“Ngunit hindi namin makita ang Pro-Life proponents picketing ospital Sulatan ang mga Yunit, at tunay na plastic Surgeon, sa gayon, upang magbigay sa kanila ng pakinabang ng pag-aalinlangan, ang kanilang mga kahulugan ng matatag na buhay ng tao napupunta na lampas sa parehong mga pamantayang ito.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘lampas’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
"The art of shoeing horses; also, the art of treating the diseases of horses, now technically called veterinary surgery."
Who knew that dildo was also a type of cactus?
A list of words whose meanings I am learning, either because a) I don't know the meaning b) I know the meaning, but could stand to better appreciate certain inflections or secondary meanings or c) ...
Looking for tweets for lampas.